Leadership BG Alumni Association
This association is available to all graduates of Leadership BG and continues to give members opportunities in networking and community awareness. The organization hosts an Annual Golf Ball Drop and networking events to help support the High School Leadership Program and other non-profit organizations in the community.
Interested in joining the Project Team or just helping out with any or all of the events? Contact any of the Project Team Members or the Chamber Office.
The Leadership BG Alumni Association exists to:
- Support, facilitate, and sustain Leadership BG
- Provide a forum for continued education, networking, and coalition building
- Respond to community needs
- Provide a pool of informed leaders for service to the community
- Carole Matthews – Retired, Wood County Hospital Class of 2000
- Erin Hachtel – United Way of Wood County Class of 2006
- Matt Karaffa – First Insurance Group Class of 2013
- Cory Panning – USI Insurance Services Class of 2016
- Betsy Johnson – Bowling Green State University Class of 2016
- Melissa Bell – Signature Bank Class of 2019
- Mary Hinkelman – Bowling Green Chamber of Commerce Class or 2019
Are you an Alumni and need to update us on your new contact information? Please fill out this form to let us know!
Leadership BG Alumni Contact
Leadership BG Class Projects
- 2019 – Raised $2268 for the Wood County Humane Society at an event at Sunset Bistro. The class received a part of the sales from the entire day, sold dog treats and raffled a “date night” basket.
- 2018 – Raised: Approximately $1,650 and split between Habitat for Humanity of Wood County and Wood County CASA. Event was named Mi Casa Su Casa at Campus Quarters. Guests include Dennis Hopson, a former NBA player and past Assistant Coach for the BGSU men’s basketball team, and Wood County Commissioner Craig LaHote as a VIP Bartender.
- 2017 – Raised $1,524.00 for the Bobcat Basics Program. Provides basic toiletries to Bowling Green High School students in need.
- 2016 – Organized and hosted The Hungry Caterpillar event. Raised $2,614 and numerous food items for the BG Christian Food Pantry and The Cocoon.
- 2015 – raised $640 to support the BG Christian Food Pantry and Eagle Scout project of building shelves for the pantry. Chaperoned youth from Big Brothers/Big Sisters to lunch and a BGSU men’s basketball, and were judges during the Wood County Youth Olympics.
- 2014 – Class organized and hosted a 5k Fun Run/Walk. Raised $1,000 to be used as a stipend for future Leadership BG attendees.
- 2013 – Class Challenge/March Madness Fundraiser. Raised 1,174 pounds of food and $1,734.00. Collected school supplies for BG city school students.
- 2012 – School supplies for local students and raised funds for the Wood County District Public Library youth furniture of $3,300.00.
- 2011 - Electronic Recycling Day. Collected 68 Cell Phones, 124 desktop PC's, 16 laptops, 156 monitors, 78 printers, 82 keyboards, 20 external drives, tons of mice, and ‘millions’ of cords. Filled 26 pallets.
- 2010 – 2010 Cans of Caring campaign. Raised awareness of hunger in BG. Collected over 2,300 non-perishable food items, donated to the BG Christian Food Pantry. Also collected $300.
- 2009 – Assisted with organization and promotion of a Spaghetti Dinner. Raised $3,300 for the BG Teen center.
- 2008 – Expanded the library of the Wood County Juvenile Detention Center by contributing books, periodicals and new book selves.
- 2007 – Cocoon Shelter – raised $ to increase their Endowment Fund.
- 2006 – Raised funds for physical improvements to BG’s Safety Town also provided labor to carryout those improvements
- 2005 – The “Leadership BG LeapFrog Literacy Project” provided LeapFrog/LeapPads to the Wood County District Library,
- 2004 – Library Paver $500.
- 2003 – Historic Plaque in downtown; street markers for Historic Boomtown Residential District Not placed or announced until April 2004…but during 2003 the class donated duffle bags, clothing, and personal hygiene products to youth going into foster care – WC Foster Care Program.
- 2002 – Raised money to purchase banners for downtown light poles.
- 2001 – Trees donated to BG Parks/Rec. Jaycees fundraising efforts added up to $500.
- 1994-2000 – No major Class Project though did various mini community service projects throughout the year.
- 1993 – Established mini community service projects and the Alumni Group. Raised funds toward an endowment of the BG Community Foundation.